With Hawaii being famous for its Pineapple production, we wanted to talk a look the various health benefits of the pineapple as well as bring you a few new recipes you can try featuring the pineapple.
8 Health Benefits of One Cup of Pineapple
Hawaiian Pineapple Recipes
Try one of these four pineapple recipes from the Hawaiian Islands:
Grilled Pineapple Rings
- Sliced rings of pineapple 1/2” thick
- Light vegetable oil
- On a very hot barbeque grill, place lightly brushed and seasoned rings of pineapple on grill surface.
- Grill about 3 minutes per side (looking for grill marks).
Serve with grilled chicken, pork or beef.
Oven Poached Pineapple Ono
- Large piece of fresh filet of island Ono (or Mahi-mahi) 1-2 lbs or larger
- Fresh cut pineapple rings 2 (or more)
- 1 tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic crushed
- 1 whole Maui sweet onion sliced
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- Hawaiian salt to taste
- Crushed black pepper to taste
- In a large baking pan or baking sheet layout aluminum foil 4 inches longer than the piece of fish.
- Place pineapple down of foil.
- Place cleaned fish filet on pineapple slices.
- Add salt and pepper to the fish.
- Mix garlic and ginger together and spread evenly on fish.
- Take sliced onion rings and cover fish.
- Add butter to the top of the onions.
- Add a top layer of aluminum foil, fold the edges of the foil with the bottom layer of foil to make a pouch or tent (edges should be tight but should be loose around fish.) Place in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Be careful opening foil; steam will be hot. Serve the fish and onions with the pineapple over your favorite rice.
Pineapple Cole Slaw
- ½ head green Cabbage – shredded
- ¼ head red Cabbage – shredded
- 1 cup carrots – shredded
- ¾ cup pineapple – chunks Proportions can vary
- 1 cup mayonnaise Bottle dressing will work just fine too!
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp pineapple juice
- ¼ tsp salt to taste
- ¼ tsp dry mustard to taste
- ¼ tsp celery seed to taste
- In a large mixing bowl add dressing ingredients and whisk together.
- Toss with cabbage mixture, cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- Remove from refrigerator, give it a quick toss and serve.
Serve on top of a pulled pork (Kalua pork) sandwich for a great lunch
Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken
- ⅓ cup dry sherry wine the real stuff, not cooking sherry
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 cup pureed fresh pineapple
- 1 cup of chopped fresh pineapple
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons peeled and grated ginger
- 3 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 medium shallot finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 bone in, skin on chicken thighs yes, you can use boneless and skinless chicken
- Mix sherry, soy sauce, pineapple, brown sugar, grated ginger and 2 of the crushed garlic.
- Marinate chicken thighs overnight.
- Remove chicken thighs from marinade, pat dry; retain marinade.
- Grill seasoned (salt and pepper) chicken thighs until done.
- On the stove top, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium low heat add shallots and remaining garlic.
- Stir and cook shallots and garlic for about 1 minute until shallots are translucent. Add a little salt and pepper.
- Add retained marinade to pan cook until mixture has reduced by about a 1/3.
- Take cornstarch and mix with a small amount of water (2oz) this makes a slurry.
- Take marinade off heat stir in slurry mixing well. Return to heat. If sauce tightens up too much thin with water, if still too thin add more slurry.
- Add chopped pineapple, add grilled chicken.
- Turn off heat. Let stand, turning chicken to coat. Serve over rice.
This recipe can be used for grilled pork or grilled beef
Tell us about your move!