Whether you’re moving freight westbound to Kauai or eastbound from Kauai to another destination, there are a few details that can derail your shipment. Additionally, there are a few add-on freight services that can make shipping your Kauai freight simpler and easier.
We’ve been moving all types of freight to and from Kauai since 2005—everything from retail items to construction materials to household goods to surfboard blanks. We’ll show you exactly what you need to know to make sure that your Kauai freight arrives at its destination quickly, easily, and in perfect condition.
Kauai Freight Must-Know #1:
Direct Service Is Available
There are two schools of thought when it comes to sending freight to Kauai:
- Some companies send all their freight to a warehouse hub in Oahu, sort and segregate there, then distribute inventory to Kauai as needed.
- Other companies sort and segregate at the origin point (on the mainland, for example), then send the Kauai-bound freight directly to Lihue.
In short, if you don’t want to send your freight through Oahu, you don’t have to. Direct service to and from Lihue is available. It’s faster. It’s more efficient. And, in most cases, it will save you money in terms of taxes, warehousing, and transportation costs.
At Royal Hawaiian, we encourage our customers to ship direct to Kauai whenever possible. We coordinate these direct shipments through our sister company, Approved Freight, and their Los Angeles terminal.
Kauai Freight Must-Know #2:
All you have to do is hop a flight between Kauai and the mainland to remind yourself just how far Kauai freight has to travel. From Lihue, it’s 2347 nautical miles to Seattle and 2272 nautical miles to Los Angeles.
Because your freight is traveling over thousands of miles across the Pacific Ocean, the way you package it can make a huge difference:
- For commercial freight, things like pallet overhang and goods that aren’t properly secured to the pallet can result in significant damage.
- For household items—especially something irreplaceable like an heirloom armoire—it’s a good idea to have those items secured by an expert. Depending on the value of the piece, building a custom crate might be the best solution to prevent damage.
If you have any doubts or questions where packaging is concerned, give your freight carrier a call. Our experts are happy to talk with customers about the right way to package their freight so it arrives in excellent condition. (In fact, we’ve even been known to proactively call our customers if we see something that could create problems down the line!)
Kauai Freight Must-Know #3:
All Deliveries Are Not Created Equal
If you’ve shipped freight in the past, you know that the freight industry has its own jargon, down to the types of pickups and deliveries available.
For example, some freight providers offer curbside delivery, while others offer inside delivery or even white glove service. What’s the difference?
For example, let’s say that your business orders a new piece of equipment, delivered to your warehouse.
- If you’ve chosen curbside delivery, your freight would be left at the door to the warehouse.
- If you’ve chosen inside delivery, the driver will place your freight just inside the warehouse door.
- If you’ve chosen white glove service, they’ll help you remove any packaging, maneuver your new piece of equipment in place and, in some cases, even help you with assembly, if needed.
Here’s why this becomes important where Kauai freight is concerned: Not every Kauai freight provider offers all of these services. Many only offer curbside pickups/deliveries.
If you don’t have the right equipment to move your freight where it needs to go, choosing a freight provider who can assist can be a huge load off your mind. Additionally, it can also mean you won’t have to hire a second provider to help you maneuver it into place.
By the way, these delivery/pickup service levels also apply to household goods. We’ve worked with several customers on Kauai who want to move a single piece of heirloom furniture to the mainland. We’re happy to ship individual pieces like this as freight. We’ll also come into your home to pick up the furniture, we can pack it securely for you, and then we can have it placed inside a house on the other end.
Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide what kind of freight services you need. However, choosing a provider who can offer things like inside delivery or white glove service gives you more flexibility if you do need help—and it can mean a lot less heavy lifting for you.
Kauai Freight Must-Know #4:
Freight Solutions Come in All Sizes
When some people think “freight,” they immediately think “pallet” or even “container.” However, some providers are more flexible than others when it comes to what kind of freight they’ll ship on and off Kauai.
Our Lihue team handles shipments of all sizes. We can assist with:
- Full-container load (FCL) shipments
- Less-than-container-load (LCL) shipments, such as a single pallet or a few pallets
- One-off shipments for both commercial and household clients, such as a single piece of equipment or the heirloom furniture we mentioned above
In other words, your shipment doesn’t have to be huge in order to work with us. (Although we can handle large and oversized shipments, too!)
If you’re not shipping with Royal Hawaiian, ask your freight provider about shipping your freight direct to Kauai. We’d also be happy to price it out for you. Just reach out for a free quote, and we’ll walk you through it.
Eastbound or Westbound, Royal Hawaiian Has Kauai Freight Covered
Whether you’re sending a large shipment westbound to Kauai, a single piece of oversized furniture eastbound to the mainland, or anything in between, we’d love to help you get your Kauai freight to its destination safely, easily, and affordably.
Reach out to our team to start a free quote. We’ll get in touch to discuss your shipment, as well as what kind of add-on services you might need, such as:
- Packaging assistance, including palletizing and custom crating
- Pickup and delivery services anywhere in Kauai—or in the world, including inside pickup and delivery, as well as white glove service
- Special handling for delicate, heavy, oversized, and unusual loads
We look forward to creating a Kauai freight solution with you.
Tell us about your move!